[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Hacker.instanet.net • View topic - CD Bot Project

CD Bot Project

Anything Arduino

CD Bot Project

Postby Tim Laren » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:29 am

CD-Bot?

This is a small, simple, easy to build, robot. Instead of using a pre-made base I used an old CD and some double-backed tape. For motors I will use continuous rotation servos and a Arduino Nano . Because I am making a very small Bot, I will also use AAA batteries.

If you don't have a pair of continuous rotation servos then you need to make a few. You can follow the post at: to build a pair for yourself.

Next step is building the Bot: My instructions for the build is at:

The continuous rotation servos are directional and variable speed. The way a servo works is there is a chip inside the servo that looks at the signal you are sending it and the position of the shaft. If they are not matched then the chip turns the motor in the right direction to make the shaft match the input signal. After we modify the servo for continuous rotation the chip tells the motor to stop if we select 90 degrees center position, move one direction if the signal is less than 90 degrees and the other direction if the signal is greater than 90 degrees.

The problem is, because the internal parts of the servo may not have that much accuracy, the servo may not be stopped when we send a 90 degree signal. To fix this we need to find the stop value and calibrate our program. There are several way to do this, one way is storing the 'Center' or 'Stop' values within the program after manually finding the values. Another way to do this is to store these found values on our Arduino rather than storing the values in our program. The reason I like this better is I may want to make several Bots. I would want to run the same code on all of them. If I have to modify the program for each bit it can get rather confusing. Also as I make modifications to the source code I have to change it on all copies of the program or modify the code before uploading the code to each Bot.

My calibration program is located at: You load it up and open the serial monitor. There is a menu and make sure you do a Save when you are done. One side feature of this program is you can use it to control your servos from your keyboard.

Now it's time to program the Bot. I have a simple test program documented here: This allows simple movements to be programmed by modifying the code. I put all the movements into the main loop intermixing moves and delays.

This is a more complicated version of the simple program for the Bot. This test program documented here: This allows simple movements to be programmed by modifying an array at the top of your program. All the movements an in array and the Main Loop processes the commands in the array.

I also made a remote using an UNO, LCD Keypad Shield and nRF24L01 Radio Modem here:

Here is the code for the Bot that talks to the Arduino Remote:
And here is the article for building the Bot with the nRF24L01:

I hope you build a few of these Bots and have loads of fun. Because this Bot only uses a few pins, there are many I/O Pins available for sensors and indicators. If you add anything fun, make sure you return here and post your mods.
Tim Laren
Site Admin

Return to Arduino